The situation in Canada
By 2030, immigration will account for all of Canada’s net population growth. Cities across Canada are being transformed by immigration, and these demographic trends will undoubtedly impact Canadian sports. Grassroots and professional sports organizations need to find ways to appeal to this diverse new community of participants and spectators.
How Physical Literacy helps New to Canada Participants
Sport and physical activity in Canada need to find ways to engage New to Canada Participants. They are a huge demographic trend and offer a tremendous opportunity for new participants and spectators. Sport for Life is working on programs and resources based on the Long-Term Development in Sport and Physical Activity framework’s Awareness and First Involvement stages. These programs offer a platform for physical literacy and quality sport communities to build resources and education to engage New to Canada Participants.
Resources and Links
- Sport for Life for Every New to Canada Participant 2.0
- Engaging Those Who Are New to Canada Via Physical Literacy and Quality Sport workshop
- Welcome to Canada: Engaging New to Canada Participants in Sport and Physical Activity eLearning
- Overcoming vs. Dismantling Barriers to Sport and Physical Activity for New to Canada Participants
- Newcomer Sport Program – Final Report
- Engaging Newcomer Women and Girls Handbook
- Engaging Newcomers in Physical Activity Podcast
- UNHCR’s Sport for Protection Toolkit