Our Vision is to be a physically literate, active, and inclusive community.
Our Mission is to:
• To be able to create connections between various stakeholders in each community who can help provide information, share resources and direction on physical literacy.
• Educate and promote physical literacy for all ages to encourage active for life.
• Assist teachers, coaches and instructors in delivering quality programming for our young and old.
• Engage the communities to learn about physical literacy and the impact and benefits of mental and physical health.
• To encourage families to be more active and explore the communities they live in.
Example of milestones:
• Co-host a Sport Summit (Shipyards area or similar location; registration through the Sport Council)
• Update and modernize the Sport Council
• Open up 'Community Day' for North Van families (e.g. hosted at Table Tennis Club)
• Offer a month of Table Tennis for all (or a playday)
• Initiatives through North Van football and North Van Floorball
• Offer S4L/PL courses to staff, and extend to other sectors
• In-house PL training for Rec staff
• 'Summer Awesome' event to showcase PL stuff this summer
• Host joint PL101 session...to build PL awareness through activity
• Revive the 'Move More North Shore' initiative
• Create PL circuit(s) in North Van (including stencils in schools and rec centres)
• Focus on inclusivity and accessibility activities
• Provide a list of PL-related books to the Chronic Disease team
• More activities like the Feb 7th event
• Activate at the 'Summer Awesome' event
• PL training for teachers
Municipality and City Planning
• Pursue 'Healthiest Small City' initiative (create a milestone and a policy)
• Use local spaces more wisely (e.g. improved activation of Shipyards space)
• Equipment and outdoor play parks (talk to Parks and Rec
June 20, 2019
North Vancouver, Squamish Nation
Vancouver Coastal Health
Community partners / stakeholders
• Vancouver Coastal Health
• City of North Vancouver
• District of North Vancouver
• School District 44
• North Vancouver Recreation Commission
• North Shore Disability Resource Centre
• Capilano University
• BC Floorball
• North Shore Table Tennis
• North Shore Girls Soccer Club
• North Vancouver Soccer Club
• Squamish Nation
For more information contact, Jo-Anne Burleigh at email@example.com.