Through the Physical Literacy in Indigenous Communities initiative, Sport for Life has been working with three Inuit communities using a training and mentorship approach, with the goals of:
- improving the well-being of Indigenous Communities in Canada by prioritizing community-based health,
- building community capacity by developing Indigenous leaders,
- supporting employment skills development and opportunities for youth, and
- incorporating Indigenous healing practices and culturally-relevant services.
The Physical Literacy in Indigenous Communities project started in Kinngait in 2018, Arviat in 2019 and Kuujjuarapik in 2020, and runs until August 2024.
Mataya Jim and Greg Henhawk.
This project aims to reach the residents of Kinngait, Arviat and Kuujjurapiik through the recreation departments and regional governments.
In the News
- Unreserved with Rosanna Deerchild
- Kinngait, Nunavut, resident wins national leadership award for work boosting local recreation
For more information, contact Mataya Jim, Sport for Life Society, firstname.lastname@example.org.