Physical Literacy for Communities (PL4C) Calgary is a group of partners working together from health, education, recreation and sport to advance physical literacy by:
- supporting schools, recreation organizations and others in addressing specific, local barriers to healthy active living, and
- building community capacity through training that supports the development of physical literacy.
This project intentionally supports capacity-building for Indigenous nations and New to Canada populations within each community, so that their youth can be meaningfully engaged.
The Physical Literacy for Communities Calgary project was signed in June 2022 and runs until August 2024.
Regional Manager & Associate Mentor
The Regional Manager for PL4C Calgary is Liz Herbert, Manager of National PLAY Assessments and Physical Literacy for Communities, Prairie Engagement at Sport for Life.
An associate mentor will be identified in the coming months.
The community partners for PL4C Calgary have each shown great leadership and interest in developing physical literacy in the community. Currently, they are:
- Active for Life
- Alberta Health Services
- Alberta Recreation Parks Association
- Calgary Board of Education
- Calgary Catholic School District
- Calgary Adapted Hub
- Centre for Newcomers
- City of Calgary
- Ever Active Schools
- Mount Royal University
- Sport Calgary
- Sport for Life Society
- University of Calgary
- YMCA Calgary
Engagement and support from organizations across sectors is a top priority within the project, to ensure the various voices within the community are heard.
This project aims to reach the City of Calgary. The partner table is working together to involve Calgary’s Public and Catholic School Boards along with the Recreation Facilities and Programs within the City.
In the News
- Lacrossing Barriers breathes new life into Indigenous sport with accessible programming
- Calgary gang intervention program empowers New to Canada youth through quality sport, mentorship
For more information, contact Liz Herbert, Sport for Life Society, firstname.lastname@example.org.